Wednesday, October 21, 2015

My Life Next Door

I’ve heard it’s the perfect romance if you wanted a book that said “Two worlds and first love” so I just tried it out. Above that it was summer and I just needed a good summer read. Lucky me, I found a good summer read: “My Life Next Door” by Huntley Fitzpatrick.

Samantha Reed lives together with her mom, next to the Garretts. The family her mother warned Samantha about. She needs to stay away from them at all costs. Samantha never understood why and secretly keeps her eyes on the family. Just watching them. Over the years she learned a lot about the Garretts, who was who, who did what,... and wishes that she was a part of that family. Until one summer night, things changed. One of the Garretts, Jase, climbed onto her rooftop to have a little chat with her.
Of course everything in her life changes. The two of them walk into each other all the time since that one night, and both of them fall fiercely for each other. The Garretts embrace Samantha while she keeps it a secret for her mother for a while. A first love is described in the book which makes it all so new, pretty and sometimes awkward. But to all good things come an end because of that one evening and Samantha doesn’t know what to do or which family to pick. Choose her first love or the side of her mother.
First thing I want to say: I. Love. Those. Garretts! I’d just be the same if my mother told me to stay away from them. I’d watch them closely, get to know them even though I don’t live there and then hope one day a Garrett shows up onto my balcony. Samantha has everything in her life while the Garretts struggle with money because of the family that's so big. As you see it's a story about two different worlds but one unique love.
I just loved how their relationship grew during the book. You can just feel the happiness they get while exploring all the things in their relationship. Huntley Fitzpatrick just makes us feel like we’re in love for the first time (again) which is one of the things I loved most about this book.
I loved the plot twist the most though, I can’t say too much since it’d pretty much ruin the surprise. But as it’s said in the summary of the book, she’ll have to choose between her family and the Garretts and you can feel the mixed emotions Samantha has while overthinking who she’ll pick. While the emotions were running higher with each page for the reader. We obviously pick sides while we read but that doesn’t always mean that it’ll be like we want it to be. She longs for her first love but also feels like she’ll betray her mother if she doesn’t choose her. Decisions will be made but will the odds be in our favor?
That, my friends, will be something you’ll have to discover yourself! It’s the perfect romance with a twist and her writing style is amazing. You won’t struggle because sentences are too difficult. It’s smooth, easy and a good read. I enjoyed it so much, even more because it was summer and I had the vibes of a perfect summer read. Even though it’s not summer, I swear, readers who want a first love kind of book with more than just love (mystery, making heartbreaking decisions,...), you’ll enjoy this!

"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

No comments:

Post a Comment