Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Predestined

A little while back I remember saying that I was a little disappointed in the first book of a series. It had been a book series that was on my shelf for what feels like eternity. Above that it was hard to find those books, and eventually I got my hands on the first one! Even though I was disappointed I was really willing to read the rest of the series and hope things would be getting better! Well, update! I read the second book, Predestined by Abbi Glines, and I have to tell you: it got better! 

WARNING For the ones here that haven't read the first in this series, I recommend you not to read on since there will be further developments to the characters and to the plot. This will create a less pleasant read of Predestined because you know more information than you already should. Therefore, I recommend you not to read the review of Predestined but to read the review about the first in the series: ExistenceJust clicking on the title will open a new page with the review on the first book. 

With Leif being gone, everything seems to get back to normal. Nobody knew what Leif really was, not even Death himself. Him being a soulless creature could have been a lot of trouble for their little town. Even though Leif has gone missing, Pagan still sees him frequently. Her memories are catching up with her in the form of dreams. Ever since she was a little girl Leif has been around her, trying to help her and to protect her. Now she sees him in every dream and every memory, making sure that she never forgets who was with her first.
Meanwhile Dank starts to understand there's no way that he can't ignore Leif's influence on Pagan's dreams. Finally finding out that Pagan's soul has been marked by something even Death doesn't want an encounter with, Dank realizes that saving her will be a hard task. But not as hard as having to live without her for the rest of his life. 


This book really made me believe that I did the right thing. I'm so happy that I didn't put this series aside and not read on! Predestined has surprised me in such a good way and I'm also really happy with how the characters evolved!

Speaking of the characters, let's talk about Pagan. I feel like this character still really amazes me. Just the confidence this girl carries is absolutely outstanding for a main character, however I did feel as if we saw a more tender side of her during Predestined. During this story we'll see how old memories will resurface for Pagan and this will be having dramatic changes. She'll feel less strong and stressed. This will also immediately be reflected in her behavior.

Did I hate seeing this in her character? Absolutely not. Even though I know she's a very confident person and stands up for herself, it was nice to see that sometimes she also has moments where she feels less confident and needs others to help her out. This isn't something where one of her friends will be able to help, so she'll automatically go to Dank for that but I mean... I'm not complaining! Also, the dreams will bring some action into the story which will also show us how Pagan reacts on danger and risking her life. I absolutely loved to see the fight in her and how she protects the people she loves! The ability we first saw with our main character in book one will not be addressed as much anymore but I absolutely didn't mind that because the story brings other elements to keep us connected and into the story. Overall a great character that shows a lot of courage. 

As for our sweet, beloved Dank! Gah, I absolutely adore him. His protectiveness that we saw in Existence hasn't changed at all and I just love how he is around Pagan. This time around he even gets his own chapters which I am so happy about! Overall I also feel like Dank really has become more mature and I loved to see that in this character. What I always noticed though was his sweet side and once again the readers will see this. He just brings very strong emotions to the story and that also makes sure that the readers will not be left without feelings. 

Did I see a dramatic change in Dank? No, he's still very protective and pro Pagan. That only made sure that he'll go to the ends of the world to help her and that's the spirit we'll need during this read. One thing I did notice about Dank is that we'll get to see more of his position in the universe and his influence. Readers will be pushed into his world of what his obligations are and I really did enjoy to see that happen, especially because it's told in his perspective. It brings us a bigger understanding of who he is and just deepens his character more. 

With seeing more of Dank's obligations, we'll also see that Dank's away from Pagan a lot more. That while she's struggling with the dreams and her memories. A certain danger is forming under their noses but neither really sees it. Their relationship will therefore be put to the test. Both really need each other and their love is sweet so it was very interesting to see how these factors influenced their relationship.

As for the plot, I have to say I was absolutely amazed by it. Especially because the author made enough time to write out Pagan's dreams that are actually memories from her childhood. This really brought a new sense of mystery that I absolutely enjoyed. Above that in the beginning of the dreams there are flashbacks of Pagan's friends as well and I really loved to see how that relationship started to grow and how it influenced their future. 

The thing with these dreams was that they started to form the story. The dreams really lead to this one big revelation that we need to know to understand what kind of danger our characters are now in. I think it was a very great thing of the author to reveal this through dreams, because it took some time to piece everything together for the characters as well as for the readers. Above that it really brought a great deal of mystery and tension which I could absolutely enjoy. This element of the story was very well written as it absolutely builds up the tension and leads to a big revelation that's mind blowing


As this is the second book and we already know Pagan's ability, Predestined doesn't make a lot of time to get into it anymore. She still sees souls, but the plotline won't be focusing on that anymore. There will be a new darker element that comes to the story. It's something totally new and also a new kind of character that'll bring this story some action. I have to say that I am more satisfied with this than with Pagan's ability in book one, because the author made more time to specify and describe this new element in the story with it's own unique powers and behavior. Abbi Glines really took her time to build this out better than she did with the ability in my opinion and I really appreciate that.

However this new aspect will bring answers that have to do with Pagan's ability which then again was something I was looking forward to. I never had expected to get these answers and they also come as a big surprise. The author really thought this through and made sure that the readers will be thrilled as well as in shock. Never had I ever anticipated to get answers to Pagan's ability or to ever know why she is the way she is, so it's safe to say that's a big asset!

A thing I hadn't expected in Predestined was the emotional rollercoaster that we'll be on. There are a few aspects that really surprised me and will mark the readers to feel sad. Of course there are also cute scenes between characters and other scenes where we'll have to brace ourselves. In comparison to Existence, I feel like Predestined just really deepened its story by creating all these scenario's where other emotions besides love could be felt and I absolutely appreciated that. Just know what you'll be in for, and be ready! Mark my words.

Lastly we will see some action as well, the only remark to the plot is that I sometimes wished the action would stick around longer. Even though I feel like the plot is a lot better, I did wish that the pace of these scenes weren't as high paced as they were. A bit more danger, risking and fighting for the things you want would have been better in my opinion. Now it felt rather done fast and quick so we could move on. Other than that I really don't have any remarks to this book so that also means I can conclude this review!


I absolutely adored the second book. Comparing the first book to the second book, Predestined, was a lot better and didn't disappoint me at all. The only remark I have is that some scenes were written on a fast pace not leaving enough room to feel the action and tension because it ended so soon. Other than that I really loved how what we learned at the end of book one was now a major influence. Above that the two main characters finally felt like a lot closer so us readers could enjoy it more. And boy, did I enjoy it... The plot was really well written and always up for a twist and a surprise I bet half of us didn't see coming. And the characters really showed a big change and evolved in a better way in my opinion. I absolutely enjoyed the second book, and let me tell you the ending is so sweet! Interpret that in any way you want... I can't wait for the 3rd and last book in this series!

“He's already proven he'll defy Heaven to keep her. If Hell wants a piece of him too, then bring it on.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment