Sunday, February 21, 2016

Bloodlines

I know, I know! It's been a very long time since I posted a review but I've been really busy with schoolwork! Above that I haven't had a lot of time to read for myself and books that I pre-ordered are either canceled or delayed. And when I say CANCELED I'm referring to my signed copy of Glass Sword! Yes, I pre-ordered it only to find out a week later that I won't receive the copy. I'm very disappointed. Anyway, I finished Bloodlines by Richelle Mead yesterday so let's get these thoughts into a review!

As an alchemist Sydney doesn't have any time to party or have fun. She has to be serious, discreet and very neat. When she's being send of to California with a Moroi princess to protect, a private high school wasn't anything she had expected. 
Keeping the Moroi safe and sound isn't one of the hardest things to do, it's cleaning the messes and preventing that she's being discovered. Yet Sydney has a lot of people working against her and trying to ruin her life so she can be send to a re-education center, one of her biggest fears. But there's more to this little private school in California than she originally thought...

I got it as a present from my niece and it also was the first vampire book as well as the first book that I read written by Richelle Mead! I didn't really know what to expect from this book as well as the vampire aspect but it's better than I originally thought it would be!

I had so much respect for Sydney because she's the character that gets pushed around a lot in this book. She didn't have a nice childhood or time to play or make friends, so she does have a difficulty with socializing. Later she also participated in helping Rose, which is a character from the Vampire Academies but I haven't read that book yet so I don't know any details on that. It is a little sad that we don't know those details because I think it'd give the reader more information on why other alchemists aren't a fan of Sydney. 

Sydney is being called the "vamp lover" because she helped Rose out but her motives are left unknown. Sad! I did really like this character because she kept going even though people pushed her around so much and told her what to do and what she couldn't do. She also gets blamed a lot while it's the fault of someone else. Sydney also isn't one of the most confident people in the world and that's really being reflected in this book. 

Another character that I really enjoyed was the Moroi Princess, although I had my doubts about her at some points in the book! She's really open and also still young but it's clear that she would never try to upset Sydney on purpose which I was happy about. At least someone had respect for her and all that she did! The princess is also a character that you can really figure out because there are some things that are a little mysterious with her! 

As for a character I absolutely hated, please welcome Keith. What a douche! I hated him then I thought he was just playing it because he started to be nice. But don't mind that because it was all fake! He's such a stupid other alchemist and one that also doesn't trust Sydney and that doesn't help at all. What a lazy guy! I absolutely hated him!

There was this one character that really grew on me though: Adrian. In the beginning I didn't really know what I had to expect from him. He wasn't really nice, he drank a lot, went to parties and seemed only to care about... himself. But there does come a point where all that turns and we see another side of him. 

The plot wasn't one of the most difficult ones to understand! Even though as I said, there are things we don't know about like the whole situation with Rose, it's not that you really NEED it to understand it. Also this book isn't boring, I did think that there didn't happen that much but I liked that it was like a very easy and casual read which I by the way, absolutely enjoyed!

Don't worry though because mystery around Vampires and other thrilling scenes do come in this book but a little later on which I absolutely didn't mind! I also had a lot of moments where I could laugh a lot with what the characters where saying and that was mainly with Adrian and Sydney. Those two collide at sometimes but it doesn't make you feel irritated about one or the other, you just really enjoy it!

Also I did like it a lot that the book was showing how friendship works. How to make new ones but also how they work out and that it's okay to have a row and tell each other exactly what's going on. Bloodlines really reflects that friendship has as well good sides as tougher 
ones.


So I was a little scared to read this book because I thought 'Vampires... hmm' but I really enjoyed the book because it didn't focus on it all too hard. The characters were really open and you could really feel with them and understand them. 

This book was a very good and strong opening to this series and I'm really looking forward to the next book in it because it might have been very calm and casual, there are thrilling and mysterious parts and that's what really keeps you reading on and on. I did have a difficult time with getting into the story but I don't mind that after reading more. Don't let Vampire creatures stop you from reading this! 

“The greatest changes in history have come when people were able to shake off what others told them to do.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment