Monday, November 2, 2015

Lola and the Boy Next Door

I think every girl dreams about a boy next door. A best friend, maybe even more than just a friend and that’s why I was so curious about: Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie Perkins. I wanted to know if it was just as pleasant as in my dreams. And I also read the book because it was the second book in the series of Stephanie Perkins. The first one is Anna and the French Kiss which I also wrote a review on. You kind find that one here: Anna and the French Kiss Review
So what it is about: Lola and a boy next door. It’s kind of obvious right? But there’s more to the story. Lola Nolan is the daughter of a gay couple and her life is pretty perfect. She loves designing but not in just a normal shirt or a normal dress. Lola likes it a little more... different. The more expressive the outfit, which basically means more sparkles, more wild, the better the outfit will be. This causes a lot of attention and comments from bystanders and not always the positive kind of comments. But Lola doesn’t care, her parents love her, she loves herself and her rocker boyfriend loves her just the way she is. Right? 
But the perfect life starts to shake when the Bell twins come back. There was a time that Cricket and Calliope lived in the neighborhood but they moved some years ago. It left Lola a broken heart and she thought she was over it until Cricket comes back into her life. Lola must finally face up to a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. 
I liked the book. I didn’t love it like I loved Anna and the French Kiss but it was okay for me. I enjoyed that there was a gay couple. I haven’t read a book where the parents are two dads or two moms and I found it very refreshing. Also it’s not that the two dads their personality was the same. They each had their own strengths and weaknesses. 
Lola, I couldn’t really identify with her. I’ve had moments in the book where I was like wow! And where I was surprised and glad I was reading the book anyway but some parts with Lola were not necessarily boring but maybe a little bit dreadful. I did like that she has this expressive personality and that she doesn’t care about what others think. Stephanie does underline this multiple times which made it seem for me that there was a life lesson in it. And also that I find very refreshing!
As for Cricket, he wasn’t the Étienne from Anna and he wouldn’t be my best book boyfriend either but he wasn’t wrong. He is smart, thoughtful and funny but I think it could’ve been a much more interesting character if there was more about his inventions. 
The story line was interesting. It’s not pure romance and I did have some frustration with some parts but overall: it wasn’t that bad. I’m not saying I didn’t like it because I did. I enjoyed it but I just didn’t love it as much as I did Anna and the French Kiss. Personal tastes is what you can call it. It was harder for me to identify with this character than with Anna. Also I started to enjoy it even more when the end was near, there are also very thoughtful and nice passages! So I do recommend the book but if I had to choose between Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door: I’d choose Anna's story. I enjoyed that one just better. Now that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t read it! Or that I think that you’re wrong when you like Lola better than Anna! It’s just personal thoughts. 
If you haven’t read these books and you want to read them but you can identify more with Lola or you just like the story better: You can read Lola first or only Lola. But mind that as well in this book as in the third (because yes there is a third book), there will be references to Anna and the French kiss. These references DO CONTAIN SPOILERS! So if you’re planning on reading all 3 books, I highly recommend reading them in the order they’ve been published. Unless you’re like ‘Hey, I don’t mind that. I just want to read this one first and then that one, as I please.’ I didn’t read them in the order they’ve been published. Simply because I wanted to read Anna in Paris so I started with the latter in the series because the story sounded more exciting than Lola's. So I’ve been spoiled for Anna. That kind of sucked but also didn’t because I love it that the writer makes the other characters reappear but if you didn’t read it in the ‘right’ order: you’ve been spoiled for the other books. So beware!

"Could the boy from Lola’s past be the love of her future?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment