Thursday, March 10, 2016

Love and Other Theories

A book that was surprisingly different and refreshing! I never expected it to turn out this way. This book has been on my "Books I want list" for quiet a while now and finally I read Love and Other Theories by Alexis Bass! I do think this is a book you'll either love or hate, there is no comfort zone in here! 



Aubrey has a bright future to look forward to, accepted early into Barron she can finally party along with her other friends. And because of the theories they created ages ago, she can even get boys to want her without putting effort in it. The most important rule? Don't fall in love. Other rules? If you want more, you need to stop. And there are so many more rules in their theory, a theory that causes high school boys to stick around. Aubrey never had a problem with the rules or the theory. That is until Nathan Diggs comes around and Aubrey feels herself losing balance each time she sees him. Will she be able to stay strong? Or will she give into something her friends would hate her to become? Yet there is more to the story than only that...

First of all I really want to underline that I had many frustrations. This theory? It sucks. It's absolutely ridiculous but somehow it kept me reading. I was so convinced of how wrong it was and I couldn't wait for Aubrey or her friends for that matter to realize that it really was wrong. Above that this book contains a lot of bitchiness, I have to be honest about that. This is also the main reason why I think you either will love or hate this book. 

I didn't know if I would stick around but at some point in this story things turned and it also wasn't always about that (ridiculously) theory. The first part in the book the theorie is being explained but later on it'll be about what the theorie causes: the consequences of stopping yourself from loving because of some stupid theory. Not only the consequences on that but also the consequences on your friendship. 

I said there'd be a lot of bitchiness but in my opinion that was only inflicted by one person and that's not Aubrey. Aubrey got accepted into Barron, her dream college and because she worked hard for it she can now lay back and party along with her friends. It's obvious that she missed out on many things because she was working hard on getting accepted in collage yet she won't wait any longer. 

She and her other three friends seem to be getting it along with a lot of boys. A. Lot. They drink, some smoke and if they're not watching Mercy Rose, they're partying or hooking up. And I wasn't sure if I should love or hate it. At one side, I thought this was going a little fast and all but on the other side I thought this was really refreshing. Normally it's always about to be bad boys that hook up all the time, yet this time we really see that it's different. It's the girls who are bad and switch beds every night. That's why I'd call this book refreshing though I wished that at some point they'd stop already and then I'm not talking about our main character.

The thing that bothered me most was the first time Aubrey got to know Nathan. Because they leave in the middel of class to go fool around. I thought Aubrey would be a lot more different since she studied hard those past years, I kind of thought she'd be nerdier and not like her friends. So that was a very surprising factor. I just didn't like it that it just happened, they didn't even know each other! And it really caused me to get another view on our "saint" Aubrey.

Nathan Diggs. The new guy in town and already fooling around on his first day. He did sure leave an impression yet from the start I felt like he wasn't showing who he really was. Wearing leather jackets, pretending. But I saw right through it, just like others in the book. He's actually a really sweet guy, that's sensitive and really wants to see the good in people. That'll become clear when you're further into the book.

But he couldn't make me choose for him. I had already gaven my heart to Chapman. Trip Chapman. Early in the book we get hints to Aubrey's old crush who she tested the theories on which was Trip. He left for college since he's a year older but I couldn't wait to see him in the book. He really did seem a very special character! My first impression of him was that he's really laid back, funny and very relaxed. Through this story we'll see this character from all different angles and I was really keen on Trip. Though I wish he came a little more in the story.

Then the one that caused the bitchiness in this story: Shelby, a friend of Aubrey, her best friend. From the very first beginning I couldn't get a long with Shelby at all. She was mean, she was such a bitch and had a razor sharp tongue. I absolutely hated her and that feeling never went away through the story. Aubrey and her friends excluded a friend years ago, a story that will be explained in the book, and now Shelby thinks it's funny to keep picking on the poor girl. That's why I didn't like her, she tries to hurt everyone and comments on every little thing! 

So no, Shelby was absolutely not my favorite in the story. She's also the one that really pushed the theories forward and that's probably why Aubrey follows them this strictly. Shelby is her best friend, why would she be wrong? Also I felt like Shelby was a little like Alaska from Looking for Alaska (by John Green). Somehow I always envisioned Alaska when I saw the name "Shelby" is that weird?

A positive aspect on the characters was that I really could relate to them and recognize their personalities in real life. I think we all know a relaxed and funny Trip Chapman in our life, or a sweet and calm guy like Nathan Diggs. And yes, we all know a Shelby too. I also really like Aubrey, even though at some points she really frustrated me. Those frustrations were caused because of the theory she believes in. 

As for the plot, in the beginning like I already said the theories are explained a lot and since I didn't agree with them I was a little scared that this book would only be about this. I was wrong! Of course they explain the theories, maybe a little bit too much, but it was good that they did because then you can understand the title and the further development in the plot. Because things don't stay as sweet as you might have guessed. 

The theories will cause a lot of drama because Aubrey feels like she's falling for the oh-so sweet Nathan Diggs that while the first rule claims: Do not fall in love. She wants to hide that she might be falling for Nathan because the theory hates girls that want the "girlfriend-status" and so her friends would start to hate her. I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous but I promise this will turn out a lot more better than it sounds! 

Aubrey keeps spending a lot of time with Nathan that while Trip is reaching out to her again for help. Aubrey is pulled between the two boys but her heart keeps going back to Nathan. They keep fooling around that is until Nathan suddenly stops and takes intrest in someone else. 

Aubrey feels heartbroken by it that while the theory actually should make sure that your heart can't be broken. Secrets start to develop and Aubrey thinks she's going insane thinking that there's something between Nathan and that other girl. 

It makes her do very stupid yet thrilling things, such as taking that person's phone to check the messages. I was really excited about this because it creates certain feelings to the reader. The fear of getting caught but also the excitement of finding something that shouldn't be there. I was making up theories myself to what that girl might be doing with Nathan and what would happen if Aubrey finds it out.

But Aubrey breaks down a couple of times because she feels so lonely and betrayed even though she didn't know if Nathan, even though they're not into a relationship, was being unfaithful. And then there comes my favorite character to the rescue: Trip Chapman. That guy really took my heart from the start! He tries to comfort Aubrey and to be there for her when she needs it. 

The plot starts building to the end when the big scheme comes out and secrets are revealed. I can't blame Aubrey for her outburst then! I also had many feels during this book, not only frustration towards Shelby and the theory but also happiness, sadness for Aubrey and madness to the secrets that I wanted to know too. I was becoming desperate and for me that was a very great asset to this book! The author keeps you in the dark until the very last part of the book before you'll know what's going on in here. And when it all comes out... oh man

This theory just shows you perfectly to what the consequences will be towards your love life and even your friendships. Things start breaking down all at once and you can only wonder what this means for Aubrey, her friends, Nathan and even Trip. It really captures realistic things! I wouldn't say people would make up this theory but parts of it and its consequences are really realistic in my opinion. 

I know that the bitchiness and the stupid theory might be scaring you off to read the book, yet for everyone who wants something refreshing and a book with a lot of feels: this might be your read! You'll be left with secrets, drama and frustration but there are also very adorable parts in this book. You can relate to the main character and the others are very easy to imagine because the personalities aren't anything new in this world. The theory is only used to show you the consequences of it and what might happen to you friendship when it creates secrets. I was a little unsure in the beginning but the book really did prove me wrong. It wasn't only about the theory, or the consequences but also about how to say goodbye and what it'd mean. After being past the first 100 pages I had the same laid back, relaxing feeling as Trip Chapman and was taken by the story. I'm really not disappointed that I picked up this book!

"Rule #1: Do not fall in love. 
Rule #2: see the above."

No comments:

Post a Comment