Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Birthday Haul

So last Sunday it was my 19th birthday and what presents to give a book junkie? Books of course! First of all I want to thank everyone for the gifts and for the books because: I love book so now I love all you guys because you gave me more books! I hope that explained it all :) Let's jump into the birthday haul!

Reboot by Amy Tintera
A book that was in the 3 books I want to read in 2017 post and lucky me, because now I have it right here! That also means I will absolutely read this book in 2017 and accomplish that goal. It's a book that I've had in my hands a few times in Dutch but I'm an English reader so now I can read it! This is what the back of the book says:

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.


I mean I can't say no to a book like this, can I?!

Ascend by Amanda Hocking
I read the first two book in a course of almost two years and I think it's about time to finish this series. It's also the first series I've read by this author and I really love her writing style. Above that what this book is about really surprised me as I had expected something entirely else! I'm not going to post the back of this book as it's the 3rd one and I don't want to spoil... But here's what the first book, Switched, is about:

Wendy Everly was only six-years-old when her mother tried to kill her. She was so convinced that Wendy wasn't hers, that she was a monster and that she'll only mean trouble. Ever since that day her older brother Matt and her aunt Maggie have been taking care of her. Making sure their mother can't lay one finger on Wendy ever again. 
It isn't until years later that Wendy finds out that her mother might've been right all along. Together with Finn Holmes, Wendy tries to find out exactly who she is in a world she never knew existed. But she's not sure she wants to be a part of it...

Once again we'll end a series and it's sad but I'm actually really curious how the last book is going to turn out. I also wrote a review on the first two books so go check does out if you're interested!

REVIEW ON SWITCHED: HERE
REVIEW ON TORN: HERE

Found and First & Forever by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Finally I'm going to finish this series as well! I remember reading the first two books of the Crescent Chronicles during the exams when I was in high school. I read these book I think 2 years ago so who think it's time to go on and read the rest? YES, that would be me! Also here I'll give the back of the first book, Flight, so I can't spoil!

Sometimes you just have to take flight.

A summer in New Orleans is exactly what Allie needs before starting college. Accepting her dad’s invitation to work at his hotel offers an escape from her ex-boyfriend and the chance to spend the summer with her best friend. Meeting a guy is the last thing on her mind—until she sees Levi.

Unable to resist the infuriating yet alluring Levi, Allie finds herself at the center of a supernatural society and forced to decide between following the path she has always trusted or saving a city that might just save her.


Also those covers are really pretty, it's what partially sold me to read the first book! A review on the first book can be find here:

REVIEW ON FLIGHT: HERE
Apparently I didn't write a review on the second book so that gives me a good opportunity to read the series again to refresh the memory! 

Raveling you by Jessica Sorensen
One of my favorite authors and it's also about time that I read a book by her again. Last year for my English exam we could pick a book and I picked the first book in this series. Almost a year later, it's about time to continue the series by reading Raveling you.

I can't believe that I went so long without reading Jessica Sorensen as she actually was one of the authors that kept me reading. This series also has a lot of thrill and mystery in it which actually quiet surprised me because I felt like this was rather new in comparison to her other series I read! Here the synopsis of the first book, Unraveling You, so I don't spoil anything:

Lyric has everything in life to be happy. She has music to keep her buys, she loves singing, she has friends and she has both her parents. For her new neighbor, Ayden, this is different. He's been going from home to home without any support. He's been through so much, if only he could remember what exactly. His past has been so rough and dark that he doesn't remember anything, his memories are blocked. 
Slowly Ayden starts to feel comfortable around his new family and around the all optimistic Lyric. Together they can go anywhere they want and do anything. And soon the lines between friendship and romance are blurring. That is until Ayden's past decides to pay a visit...


REVIEW ON UNRAVELING YOU: HERE

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
This is a book that's been on my list for a long while now and I'm really excited to finally have it. I can't wait to read this one as I feel this is something very close to a genre I actually really enjoy. Also that cover it looks so bright and simple but I feel like a deeper story is behind it. Did anyone read it? And if so, what did you think about it? 

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.
Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.
When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.


I just read it's going to become a movie! That means I should read it like right now and then wait anticipated on the movie... This is huge news, I really didn't know! 

The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout
And once again there's one of my most beloved authors. I feel like Jessica Sorensen and Jennifer L. Armentrout are the authors I have most books of and I'm pretty proud on that. Also, the 3rd book in the Titan Series is almost released! I already pre-ordered it so while awaiting that one, I'll be reading this one. It's actually my first stand-alone by Jennifer L. Armentrout and probably also the most realistic one I've read by her. All the series I have by her are pretty paranormal... I'm curious to where this one will lead! What the back says:

For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.

Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.

It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realize that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard.


It also has great scores on Goodread (4.01 stars) but I didn't expect anything less by this author to be honest! 

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski 
And yet another book on my 3 books I want to read in 2017 list, which actually makes this one the last book in the 3 I wanted to read this year. Also that cover... I can't! It's actually pretty stunning and fabulous and dramatic and it's just all I want right now and I just need a gap year to read all the books I want to read... yep, that's basically what I should do. 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. 
One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.
But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.
Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.


Let's repeat some of my words I wrote in the post about the 3 books I wanted to read in 2017: I just want to underscore that this book sounds amazing and thrilling and suspenseful. I mean "a story of deadly games"? YES! Kestrel hiding her growing love? HELL YES! And him having secrets? I can only imagine how this will go...

Those were all the books I got for my birthday and I wish I could read all of them right away! But I have school and it's asking a lot of attention. Hmm, I guess I should do a gap week instead ha! Thanks again for all the books, I'm really looking forward to reading them all very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment