Saturday, March 4, 2017

Burn

It is time to say goodbye to yet another fantastic series. I have to say, I was actually scared of starting the last in this series because I didn't want it to end and break my heart... It didn't break my heart, well it did by ending, but I'm really happy and satisfied with the end we get presented. It's also a series in my favorite themes of all: angels. Without further ado: Burn by Paula Weston

Note: This is the last book in a series, if you haven't read the first one, second or third one, I highly recommend NOT to read on. A lot of things will have taken place and changes will be noticed during the review because the story has already advanced. If you are curious, I wrote a review on all the previous books!

Review on Shadows HERE 
Review on Haze HERE
Review on Shimmer HERE


They remember. Both Gaby and Jude now remember everything that has happened before they lost their memories. All the feelings, from love to pain, all come back to smack them across the face. And all that while a threat is hanging right above their heads. Readying for battle, Gaby and Jude have difficulties with adjusting themselves now they remember their pasts. All the bad that has been done to Gaby makes her doubt about the new relationships she has made. But doesn't the past year change things?

Over the course of three books, I've noticed all these changes with the characters. Even with the new ones who only turned up later on in the series! And this time the changes are the biggest ever, especially because the memories have been resurfaced. During the flashbacks in the book, we could even see how big of a change there was between then and now and I absolutely adored to see that.

Especially with Gaby because she's our main character and the girl we follow in this story. Now the memories are back, we see that Gaby is going to have a hard time adjusting, just like Jude. This is something that really made me happy because it'd be ignorant if they just stayed the way they were and acted as if nothing has changed. Gaby's behavior shows such a contrast! I was actually quiet shocked to see that some things were as they had said in the past books. However, this contrast really makes sure that this character will know a huge development through Burn.

The contrast just made sure that Gaby started to feel bad in her skin, because who is she now? Past Gaby or present Gaby? And which one does she prefer. Above readying herself for battle, she'll have a hard time finding back her rhythm and finding out who she really is. This uncertainty in her was something I really absolutely enjoyed seeing because it made her more vulnerable but also a lot stronger in the end. 

Then we have Jude, I don't have a lot to say about him because what I just said about Gaby, also applies to him! I did feel like Jude had a much easier time to adjust only to be knocked down later in the book. He'll also have a moment of vulnerability when the verdict is there, but as always he is very well supported by everyone. Although his adjustment was a bit easier, he has a lot to explain and has a new burden upon his shoulders. I really enjoyed to see how he was going to tackle that as I feel he has had a much easier time remembering and also a much easier time fitting back into the Rephaim life when he found Gaby back.

Then there's Rafa, I feel like we haven't seen that much of him like the books before but still enough to enjoy the life my book boyfriend is living. He has warned Gaby over the course of 3 books that if she remembered, she wouldn't be happy. Now she remembers! That really gives this character a whole new personality trait: insecurity. Also he is wondering which Gaby will be staying and how her reaction will be afterwards. He has a very hard time with believing in forgiveness if she would ever be able to provide that. And also his best friend, Jude, has lied to him before last year which makes him really feel defeated. I really loved to see this change in him, this feeling of not being good enough to have known and not being good enough for Gaby. Of course we'll mostly see his strong attitude and big words, but at some moments these bad feelings of him would shine through and crack his shield which I enjoyed seeing. 

Each of the characters has really shown their weaknesses during this read and their vulnerability. It'll be very well known by the readers as we'll see what has been going down in the past. Now we can compare everything and see how much they have changed. Also their mistakes will be known now, after 3 books and that will add to the feelings they all show. Above that, seeing their insecurities now everything is back really makes them very relatable as we all have known a moment or period where we questioned ourselves and others. 

Before I stop talking about the characters I'd like to just point one thing out about Ez and Zak! I actually really loved these characters in this series: they're very strong, very caring and sweet but their relationship really caught my eye. I felt like in Burn, we even saw it more clearly and they just make me think about Rosalie and Emmett with the intimacy of Jasper and Alice. Am I going crazy?

Since every memory is back, the author will provide the readers with flashback of two important periods that define the characters right now. I was a bit scared in the beginning that the flashbacks would take over the whole plot as they were a big chunks, but I am really relieved to say that that wasn't the case at all. Of course the flashbacks take some space, but the plot of the now will not be shorter or therefore very fast paced to fit into the book. 

The flashbacks provide a lot of answers for the readers and I think that's a great thing in the book because the flashbacks don't give the answer to the greater thing that's happening. A lot will become clear like the relationship between characters, it'll be explained which also makes the readers pick a side: the new one or the old one, based on the new knowledge we know now. Readers will be really satisfied with knowing what actually happened to many years ago and why that made the other Rephaim act the way they did.  However as I already mentioned, we know a lot of new things now but there's still that mystery lurking towards everything we don't know yet like what part of Nathanial is real? What is going on?

When the characters aren't trying to decided who they are and what they want, they're busy with the threat that's coming up next. Nathaniel has been talking a lot about prophecies and the purpose of the Rephaim but is this actually what they'll find out during this fight? They don't know if this was the fight that everyone has been talking about that would happen and that creates a form of uncertainty with the Rephaim. They don't know what's coming their way and if they'll be able to stop it. The tension only becomes thicker because Jude and Gaby need to tell they remember and also tell what happened a year ago, when both disappeared. The camp is already divided between Sanctuary and Outcasts and with the knowledge of Gaby remembering, it brings all Outcasts on a fit because which Gaby is she? 

Eventually the battle does come, whether or not both parties know who to trust and if they want to trust at all and the fight is like we could expect very phenomenal. A lot bigger than all the fights we've seen before and it really brings so much action and thrill for the reader. Especially because the scene is really well described and the vibes that come of the weather and the characters really adds to that. And although I want to go on, I can't because what happens during and after the battle was something huge and just unbelievable. I think this is the part where I have been the most confused and shocked and surprised in this whole series. It's not that I mean the confusion because the author wrote it bad, I mean confusion as in waw this is not what I had expected and this is all new and I need a translator to tell me what on heaven and earth is going on! And that doesn't only mean for the reader, each and every character from Gaby to Daniel to even Nathaniel and so on, will have these mutual feelings. It's just a huge surprise!

The author really goes out with a boom, she gives enough information and enough details to really understand now and to be able to close the series with a beautiful and satisfying ending. What I admired most in the ending really was that even though you know now and even though this really feels like the end, you can still dream a bit further and wonder what will be up next and I really appreciate to have that. I'm not someone who likes open endings, and it's nothing like that but it still gives room for thought and that is something I really like.

Waw, I can't believe that this series has come to an end! Burn is the last part in the series and even though it hurts me that it is, it gives you such a satisfying and beautiful end that the pain lessens! This is the book where we finally get all the answers we've been waiting on for 3 books and I am so surprised and shocked because everything turned out much more different than I and probably many other readers had anticipated. I do have to be honest, I thought that the book was going to be all flashbacks and less plot of the now but I had to re-think about that. The plot isn't only flashbacks which I really appreciate, it's a nice balance between the now and then and really gives more food for thought. The readers themselves will be able to find out the truth and make conspiracy theories alongside the characters while absorbing the feels. The characters are once again amazing and have known such a big development through the series, I can't be anything but absolutely happy and satisfied! This series is really a huge recommendation! 

“Pride. Blame. Longing. Truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment