Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Winner's Curse

This is one of those books that's just so good that you need the second book, the third and then hope it's longer than a trilogy. I am cursed though, it's only 3 books in this series... Well, I guess I should just enjoy the rest of it and then cry because I wished there were more books. This book was so much better than I had ever dared to dream: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski.

 PS: that cover! *insert hearty eyes*

Kestrel's known for her power. Not directly hers but her family's power. Nobody dares to say a bad word of her or even look at her the wrong way. One day all of that changes, when Kestrel buys a slave on the market and feels there's more to him than an eye can see. She's ready to uncover the whole truth about her slave, but society thinks a lot differently about her cause. When she finally understands the dept of this person, it might already be too late to cover the truth or even escape...



Where to start, where to start! Both characters that are focused on the most are each such beautifully written characters because they both deceive the other and their environments. For a change, I'll start with the male main character: the slave. Each of the slaves is known to be a Herrani and he is also one of those. What a Herrani is or what they do or who they are, is something for you to find out while reading this book (and I really recommend that you do). I do have to admit that in the beginning I was a bit confused about what a Valorian was or a Herrani or Herran but once you're pulled into the story, you'll know soon enough! 

So about our slave's personality: I just adored him. He might be hiding so many treasures and secrets, maybe even lies and truth, I just absolutely loved him. His personality is very guarded, which is nothing less than I had expected since he's a slave and has been through a lot. However this guarded side of him is actually quiet pleasant because it really gives you the opportunity to find out who he is, alongside with Kestrel who's trying to do the same. 

This book is written in 3rd person narrator which also gives us a few private moments with the slave's thoughts and actions. This also causes the reader to know some things sooner than Kestrel which actually build up so much more tension than I had expected. Every time I read a 3rd person narrator, I feel like some of the tension is gone but here it wasn't like that. With every clue the slave gave us, a new one came into place and made me wonder what this is all about. I was really keen on being in the thoughts of the slave and know what he was up to, I do wish to have had those moments a lot more than they were given in The Winner's Curse.

One thing I also want to quickly mention about the slave were his tricks. He might not look like one of the smartest but he has so much more power than I had granted him. This guy... he deceived me and oh was I happy to be deceived by this guy... This character was so much more than he wanted us to see!

As for Kestrel, she had most of the story and we also knew so much about her. The moment she bought a slave, most readers would be doubting: does she do it out of a kind heart or does she do it to make her father proud? Her father is the general in the military and he doesn't hide the fact that he wants her to be part of that military. Yet Kestrel is smart, very smart and she knows how to get around her father the best way possible: play a game. One day she'll have to decide anyway: marry or enlist. 

I was amazed by the fact that the female main character is pictured as such a smart woman. I feel like in all books I have read that the women are often pictured as really strong fighters with high emotional steadiness until they break. Kestrel was so much the opposite in this: she couldn't fight well at all, she was the smart strategist who knew every flaw in a plan, who saw what was the best way to approach and who therefore knew how to play a game while bluffing. She was so smart and I absolutely loved seeing that in this character so much. Above that she was also kind to everyone who was kind to her, and she was dangerous to everyone who wasn't kind to her. This contrast was also something that I absolutely admired in her personality.

Both characters are very similar to each other: both of them can easily pass as liars, both can easily pass as manipulating people and both can easily pass as lovable characters. Even though both have the same personality traits and share so many things together, they each still brought so much uncertainty and new things to the story because of their background and because of their treasures, memories, secrets inside of them. These characters were to die for! Both were such good strategists that they couldn't see what the other one was clearly doing and that brought so many feels for the readers and I just feel so in love with these characters PLEASE give them to me in real life, I'll be their best friends!


The thing with these two characters is that even though both seem to hate the other at times, they would do anything for the other. How small the gesture might be and it's then so hard for the both of them to know if the God of lies is loving them or if this is really the truth. The constant doubt about the intentions really was splendid.

This is a story that contains so many games between the people and it's so important to keep your head into it or you will lose. As said on the back of my book: "The gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart. Winning what you want may cost you everything you love." And isn't that true. 

The plot plays with a very big hierarchy and really focuses on the high class society, the reader will be caught of guard by all the luxury, the gossips and the love triangles while trying to gamble their predictions about the plot. I actually really loved to be a part of this high class because it wasn't too exaggerated. Some books tend to go over the top with the gossip and loses the red line in the story but The Winner's Curse really gives a balance between the two. The gossip also really makes you stay sharp because it can be relevant for future events in the book or even past events. 

The biggest focus is of course on Kestrel and the slave: what is she going to find out about him and what is he trying to do to her? The feelings will be all over the place, and you will get frustrated because you might ship people but those people are acting as if the other one doesn't exist and you need them to be together. One step in the right direction, causes them to take two steps back and then I haven't even begun about other character coming in and deciding things for other characters... this book is such a game and a constant pulling and pushing that it's just amazing to read.   

But of course what would this book be without a bit of warfare, more games and of course a total surprise? When we finally realize what has been going on and who lied to who the world has been turned upside down. Other people will arise and better than any of us probably expected them too and the two worlds seem to be changed up. That part actually really reminded me of Beauty and the Beast and I also loved that! Still the personality trait of smart will never leave both characters and this will of course deceive them both once again. Did I already mention that betrayal is also one of the things I'd sum up if people asked me 5 words that described this book?

This seemed the biggest surprise of all, the world turned upside down but then there was the ending, yep there it was and what a surprise we caught there... For the record, that surprise actually broke my heart a lot and also made me need the second book like right away so I could find out who found out or didn't and what they'll do now... I just need The Winner's Crime okay! 

To conclude this review I wish I could give this all the stars in the universe. Never had I expected this book to be as good as it actually is. I am surprised, I am excited, I am ready for the rest of this trilogy and I want the other books right now. This book was so good! The characters share so many of the same traits but still spin it that they seem so unique. The female character really surprised me by being a very strong one by her mind and not by her fighting skills. The level of deadly games and gambling away your life is very high in here, as is the topic of warfare but that really gave this book another unique twists and made it very interesting as well as enjoyable. And if you're looking for feels, surprise, lies, games, gossip, and much more in a total rich new world, this really is your book to read. I absolutely recommend this book to everyone who is ready for so many feels, so many surprises and so many other things. Absolutely one of my new favorite books!


"The God of Lies loves you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment