Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Brightest Kind of Darkness

Another first one in a series that I'm absolutely in love with is by PT Michelle: Brightest Kind of Darkness! The cover is so gorgeous in my opinion, the brightness of the dress in contrast with the darkness of the forest. But of course the story was fantastic too...

As normal teenagers Nara Collins goes to school and makes homework. You'd think she's an average teenager but she isn't. Nara is unique in a way other teenagers can only dream of! She dreams the events of the following day. But not all is rosy... 
She tries to avoid the special gift until she dreams a future she absolutely can't ignore. By preventing that future to happen, she's losing her ability while people at school are suddenly being injured at an unusually high rate. Nara tries to stop interfering with the future but also has the need to stop what's happening. Then she meets Ethan Harris, a mysterious loner who seems to understand her. Both teenagers forge an irresistible connection, but as their relationship heats up, so do her questions about his influence in this all...

This book was nothing what I expected, this was so much better! The special gift, the mystery and the feels were all brought to one cohesive package of wow. It weren't only the main characters but also the side characters that made it this good to me. 

The first character I'll have a little talk about is Nara Collins, better known as Inara Collins. Her gift was really weird the first time I read about it. I was still a little confused on how it actually worked and if she really saw the whole day. Luckily for the readers, the author carefully explains how this whole magical talent works which I was very happy about. For me she also wasn't really the normal school girl, she was really special. She has a bad past where she doesn't want to talk about with strangers or her mother for that matter. But she also did things differently, she wasn't really interested in boys and didn't speculate with her best friend. 


The thing I did predict a bit was that she keeps her ability a secret, even for her best friend. I wasn't really bothered because I already knew it was going to take such a turn and because the mystery around the ability is far more important to me. I could identify myself with the character because she isn't one to speak up. Due to her ability she's a little bit more calm and at times paranoid or shy. 

When her ability starts to fade after that one night, you do see she's a little bit freaked out. She could always depend on knowing the future for a very long time so it really changes her life. She also explain what consequences it has on the life she's living and how she has to deal with it for the time being. It was a huge shocker to me that her ability COULD fade which only gave me more questions on what was happening. 

As for Ethan Harris... He's the biggest mystery of them all! We get to see him pretty soon in the story which I wasn't really expecting. We also see him in very weird circumstances which only draws more mystery to this boy. Some of the mystery does get answered but for me there were still a lot of question marks around this character which is why I desperately wanted the second book! The thing about Ethan is that we don't know much about him. He's weird, he's a loner and very quiet and because there are so many questions toward this character, he gets the mysterious factor! You don't know if he's someone good or if he's the bad guy and I really liked it that there was this constant doubt about him. 

A side character I really want to discuss is Nara's aunt. I really like it that her aunt plays some role in this story because she gives the reader a time-out of all the mystery. Her aunt is actually really funny but can also be very serious when it comes to Nara being sad or irritated. They're really close and I was a big fan of that in this book! 

As for the plot, I think it's kind of obvious that it's really mysterious but it keeps you on the tip of your toes! I had a certain point in the book where I thought Ethan was the bad guy, a point where I thought her aunt was the bad guy or even her best friend. I always had my suspicions, especially when there are weird things that start to happen. 


I do think that some parts were a little bit predictable but I'm not really bothered about it because there was so much mystery around who Ethan was and what his role was in all of this. But also about the ability of Inara and the connection with many people getting hurt. So I wouldn't say it is a bad book because certain parts were obviously going to happen.
Another little negative remark is that I sometimes felt like like there was a bit too much mystery and not something else, I did still enjoy the book but I think if there was more to it than only that it really would have been even better!

It might also be a little weird to say this but I also liked the fond in this book. It made it for me easier to read smoothly but it might also be that smooth because of the author! It was my first book to read by PT Michelle but after the ending, I was sure I needed to read the second book by her in this seriesAnd maybe even other books by her. My first experience with her is that she's really good in writing with mystery and keeping the readers on an edge because it really worked with me!

I recommend this book to everybody who wants a thrilling yet special read! Sink in the story of Inara and her special gift. I can tell you, you'll have your own questions according to some events that happen and because of that you'll only want to read on in this book. This series has already 4 books in it and the fifth one is on it's way, called Awaken. The transition from book 1 to book 2 was a bit disturbing to me and the second book wasn't as good as the first one in my opinion! But if you liked the first one, keep going because the 3th and 4th are much, much better! 




"Nothing makes you appreciate life more then when you wake up form a nightmare and realize it was just that. It's a good reality check."

No comments:

Post a Comment